Post-pandemic psychological effects Psychology 15/09/2020
Due to the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, our habits have been drastically modified most of the time.
Our way of working, relating, consuming, playing sports, etc., has been affected and we have found ourselves in the situation of having to change our way of living.
In addition, the information that we have been receiving in recent months has often overwhelmed us.
RECOMMENDATIONS IN THE POST-PANDEMIC SCENARIO
In order to prevent some of the post-pandemic psychological effects, we make the following recommendations:
- Avoid overexposure to information. It is important to be informed to understand what is happening and make sense of it, but exposure to excess information can have the opposite effect.
- Receive and give social support. Being in contact with our family and friends can help us cope with some adverse emotional reactions. In the situation we are in, it is difficult to maintain physical contact, which is why new technologies can help us by making, for example, video calls.
- Keep active. Doing physical exercise, such as walking or running, will help us overcome possible post-pandemic effects.
- Strategies of 'deactivation'. Practicing 'mindfulness' or relaxation exercises will improve our mental health and help us better manage the emotional reactions that we may have as a post-pandemic effect.
- Healthy and balanced diet. A good diet is essential to keep our mind balanced. Foods rich in saturated fats, refined sugars or large intakes of alcoholic beverages should be avoided.
- Identify the need for professional psychological help.
In case of anxiety, worry, irritability, hopelessness, ... it is advisable to visit a specialist. It is normal to have these emotional reactions, but if they are too intense or recurrent, the help of a specialist may be necessary.
In our Medical and Dental Center related specialists in the field of psychology and psychiatry. If you need to contact us, you can do so with the contact form or you can request an appointment through our online application.